top of page
Three cars lined up on a black background

Auto Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions
About Auto Insurance 

Q: What is the difference between Collision Insurance and Comprehensive Insurance coverage? 

A: Collision Insurance pays for damages caused be a covered accident involving a collision with another vehicle, a light post, a tree, etc. Comprehensive Insurance pays for damage to your vehicle caused by events such as fire, theft, vandalism,

deer hits - which are not collision related.  


Q: What is uninsured vs. underinsured motorist coverage?   

A: Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist Insurance can help cover the difference between your bills and the driver's coverage, up to the limits of your policy.

  1. Uninsured motorist coverage can help pay for medical expenses or damage caused by a driver who is uninsured. Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage is automatic on every New York State policy, but to a limit.   

  2. Underinsured motorist coverage covers you when someone hits you, but their liability coverage limits aren’t high enough to cover your injury. If you are hit by one of these drivers, underinsured motorist coverage can help pay for the damage.


Q: What is Full-Glass Insurance coverage and how does it work?   

A: Full-Glass coverage means there is no deductible when getting your damaged windows replaced. You are covered in full and most Auto Insurance policies include it.


Q: If my garage burns down, will my car be covered under my Homeowner’s insurance? 

A: No. Your car would be covered under the comprehensive section of your Auto Insurance policy.


Q: What is the difference between Personal Injury Protection and No-fault Insurance coverage? 

A: They are the same thing.


Q: What is the difference between Medical Payments and Bodily Injury insurance coverage?  

A: Bodily Injury is part of the liability line of your insurance. This protection covers the driver(s) and passengers of other vehicles involved in an accident, as well as any other pedestrians or bystanders injured in the accident when you are responsible.

Medical Payments Coverage covers you, your family members and passengers of your vehicle at the time of the accident regardless of who is at fault. And if you’re hit while you’re walking or riding your bike, you may be covered, too.


Q: If someone else is driving my car, will insurance cover him/her if there is an accident?  

A: Yes. In New York State, your car insurance follows the vehicle. It doesn’t matter who is driving—you’re covered. Even if the car is stolen.

Q: When is a car considered totaled?   

A: A car is totaled when the cost to repair it exceeds 80% of the market value of the car. If your car is worth $10,000 and the cost to repair it is greater than $8,000, it’s considered totaled. 


Q: Should I keep license plates if I do not have car insurance?

A: No. You must turn in your license plates if you cancel your insurance for each car. The DMV will fine you if you have plates with no insurance. For example, as of 2022, if you decide not to drive a car over the winter and you cancel the insurance, but don’t turn in the plates, the DMV will fine you $8 a day per car.


Q: When are tickets and accidents removed from my insurance history? 

A: Typically, 39 months.


Q: Will a 30-day lapse in my insurance cause my premiums to go higher? 

A: Yes. Insurance companies require six months of continuous insurance to get the best rate. Our advice is to never let your insurance lapse.


Q: Will I get a reduced car insurance rate if I take the NYS Defensive Driver Course? 

A: Yes. You will save 10% on Auto Insurance (except for the Comprehensive premium) for the vehicle you drive for three years. This also applies if you are leasing your car.


Q: Is rental car reimbursement automatically included on my auto insurance policy? 

A: No. You need to add it to your policy. 


Q: In the event of an accident, can I have my car repaired wherever I want? 

A: Yes. After the insurance company does an inspection of your damaged vehicle, you can take your car to be repaired anywhere you wish.

Q: If property is stolen from my car, does Auto Insurance coverage replacement costs? 

A: No. Your personal property in the vehicle would be covered by your Homeowner’s or Renter’s insurance –not your Auto Insurance.

Q: If I own a red car, are my insurance rates are higher? 

A: No. This is a myth. Insurance companies do not inquire about the color of your car when purchasing Auto Insurance.

Q: If I work for Uber or Lyft, am I still covered under my auto insurance policy?

A: No, the majority of insurance companies do not cover Uber or Lyft drivers. You'll need to check with your agent to find out if your insurance company has an endorsement for ride sharing.

Q: Does New York State have a minimum liability amount for Auto Insurance coverage? 

A: Yes. In New York State the minimum liability is $25,000 per person.

Q: Do I need to get extra insurance coverage when renting a moving truck?   

A: Yes. Your personal Auto Insurance policy will not cover it.

Q: Is it expensive to add my teenage driver to my auto insurance? 

A: Yes, and there are several reasons why: 1) Insurance companies look at factors like age and driving experience when deciding insurance premiums, and teenage drivers with little or no experience behind-the-wheel experience can potentially lead to more accidents.

Q: If I only drive my car occasionally, will my Auto Insurance be lower? 

A: Yes. If you drive only occasionally—what some companies call ‘pleasure use’—you'll pay less. For example, if you work from home, and you’re not commuting back and forth to work or school, your Auto Insurance rates will be lower.

Q: In the event of an accident, can I have my car repaired wherever I want? 

A: Yes. After the insurance company does an inspection of your damaged vehicle, you can take your car to be repaired anywhere you wish.

bottom of page