top of page

Home Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions
for Our NY Homeowners Insurance Customers

Q: How much Homeowners Insurance do I need?  

A: Your home insurance should be enough to be able to rebuild your home, should it get destroyed.


Q: What doesn't my Homeowners Insurance cover?   

A: Several examples of losses not covered are:


  1. Flooding: Flooding is covered under a special Flood Insurance policy.  In addition to flooding, these policies cover the movement of earth that comes from excess water, such as mudslides, and rocks and trees that slam into your home.

  2. Earthquake Damage: This includes any damage resulting from a movement of earth, as in an earthquake.

  3. Damage Caused by Animals or Insects: This includes incidences such as squirrels chewing up wires, raccoons taking up residence in the home causing damage, termite infestations, etc.


Q: Does Homeowners Insurance cover mold issues?  

A: If the mold issue is a result of a sudden accident and is a covered loss, it is covered. If the mold is a result of some type of negligence, then it would not be covered under your Homeowners Insurance.


Q: Am I covered for the cost of a utility line replacement with my Homeowners Insurance?

A: Some Home Insurance policies cover the cost of tearing out and replacing a damaged Utility Line, such as a sewer pipe, buried electric, gas or cable line. This damage must be covered by long-term degradation, tree roots, etc. – not from it being mistakenly dug up.


Q: Does my Homeowners Insurance cover foundation issues?  

A: If your foundation needs repair because of faulty plumbing, you may be covered. However, repairing your plumbing system may not be covered. If your foundation was compromised by a flooding event, that should be covered by flood insurance, if you have it. If your foundation issue was caused by years of neglect, you will not be covered. In the event that your foundation issue was caused by movement of earth, such as an earthquake, that is not covered by your Home Insurance unless you have added an Earthquake rider.


Q: Does Homeowners Insurance cover infestations?  

A: No. It does not cover animal or insect infestations.


Q: I have children who are living on campus at college. Are their personal belongings covered while living in their dorm room?

A: Yes, but with limits. Most Homeowners Insurance policies allow for 10% of your Contents limit to cover a loss to Contents off premises (such as a dorm room).


Q: Does Homeowners Insurance cover contents in a storage unit?  

A: Most likely you’re covered for up to 10% of your policy’s Contents limit. Any amount over 10%, you will have to pay out-of-pocket to recover your losses.


Q: If relatives other than my immediate family live with us, are their possessions covered under my Homeowners Insurance?    

A: Yes, they would be. Any person that is considered a relative by blood, marriage, or adoption is covered. Any non-related people under the age of 21 are also covered. Adults over 21 who are not considered a relative are not covered.


Q: What does the ‘replacement cost’ for your home’s Contents mean? 

A: Let’s say someone stole a computer from your home, but it was 10 years old. Your Homeowners Insurance will cover the cost to replace it with a new computer.


Q: Is my backyard shed and detached garage covered in my Homeowners Insurance policy? 

A: Yes. You would get 10% of the limit of the dwelling to cover these types of structures on your home property.  


Q: When I purchase Homeowners Insurance, who decides how much the replacement cost to build my home would be?  

A: The insurance companies provide insurance agencies with software that calculates what the replacement cost to rebuild your home is. You may dispute the amount with your insurance company.


Q: Does my Homeowners Insurance cover my possessions that I bring with me when I go on vacation?  

A: Yes. Your Homeowners Insurance protects your belongings while you’re on vacation.


Q: I work out of my home. Are my inventory and business property covered? 

A: It varies from policy to policy. A standard Homeowners Insurance policy typically has a sub-limit, which may not be enough. You can check with your Home Insurance agent to see if you have that coverage and if so, how much.

bottom of page